Thursday, March 1, 2012

Seckels!

Did you know that seckels are pears?  I didn't either, until Mark asked if he could buy some sugar pears that were on clearance at Sam's Club.  Mark got eight pounds of the tiny little things for only four dollars.  They are tiny little pears, a bit bigger than a large super ball.  These ones are green with some red on them, but apparently, that's the color they are when ripe.  I had never had one before, so it was a perfect candidate for today's review!

The first observation regarding seckels is that they are tiny and green.  Frankly, it kind of creeps me out.  They look like unripe pears, which has kept me from trying one a bit sooner.  I had one tonight though, and they are quite sweet.  The skin can begin to taste bitter if you chew it too long, but once I realized that, I stopped doing it.

They have the same consistency as larger pears, but they don't appear to bruise as easily.  It is extremely difficult to find a large pear that isn't bruised.  I have only had one, and it came in its own container when I purchased it for $3.50 at Epcot a few years back.  These little guys came in big plastic cartons like they sell grapes in, but they don't appear to be bruised or in poor shape.  Because of their condition, I was shocked they were on clearance.

Their diminutive size could be a problem if you were hoping to have one and be filled up.  Fortunately for me, I have eight pounds of them.  I don't know that I've seen them for sale before, so it may not be good to get attached.

Perhaps the weirdest characteristic of the seckel is its smell.  After taking a couple bites, Mark told me to smell it.  I took a big whiff, and it smelled like flowers.  It was very odd.  I had some roses on the table for Valentine's Day, and this little pear packed the same scent.

If you want to try something a bit different but relatively the same, go find some seckels.  You might find them listed as sugar pears, because apparently some people find them to be very sweet.  I thought mine was delicious and not too sweet, but that is probably a personal taste thing.  Couple their size with their resilience, and you have a perfect lunch box fruit.  They are tasty and easy to eat.  No muss.  No fuss.  Cute little pears.  It's all win.

No comments:

Post a Comment