Friday, March 23, 2012

The Hunger Games

Whenever you are familiar with the source material, it is difficult to fairly evaluate the adaptation, and the Hunger Games proved to be no exception.  Throughout my viewing, I was constantly trying to imagine what it was like watching the movie without having read the books.  Because of that, I may not have enjoyed the film as much.  I should have just watched the movie, but I just couldn't.

The Hunger Games is a solid film, one I suggest you check out.  If you have read the books, it will mean more to you.  Is this a failing of the film adaptation?  Not at all.  Books are able to provide us with insights into character that may not translate well onto the screen.  In the novel, we see the events and people from Katniss' point of view; we hear her thoughts.  On the screen, that isn't practical.  The narrative must be handled another way to create a successful film.  You must trade the intimacy of the book for the spectacle of the screen.

Luckily, the movie is filled with great performances.  The actors responsible, especially Jennifer Lawrence, more than live up to the source material.  Bringing a character to life when people already have an idea of her in their heads can be difficult.  Lawrence capably handles the task.  The other actors involved also do well translating these individuals into a visual medium, but some motivation is lost.

One of the most frequent criticisms I have heard mentioned is regarding Peeta.  I know most of you have either seen the film or read the novels, but I don't want to spoil anything for those that have not.  I can safely say that not being privy to Katniss' innermost thoughts causes some confusion regarding her interactions with Peeta as the film plays out.  It does not ruin the film at all, but it is one of the few times you really benefit from having read the book.

If you're reading a review of a movie that has been adapted from popular source material, there is usually a great deal of nitpicking over what was left out, what was included, and what was changed.  It seems fitting that I cover that same material.  The film translation of the Hunger Games is very good.  Little is left out, and the changed made are understandable.  There is only one large alteration, which leads me to wonder how that change will impact the next movie.  I had just re-read the novel the week the film came out, and even with it fresh in my mind, I was not bothered by the small changes.

For the most part, the effects are solid.  They are not perfect, but I don't recall any glaring insults to my retinas. The party I saw the film with may disagree with me, but my ears were not assaulted either.  The gentlemen present were not fans of the song that played over the end credits, but I had seen the video for the song a few days beforehand and was okay with it.

Unfortunately, my review is suffering because I saw the film two weeks ago and am just now getting my thoughts down.  I wasn't smart enough to make notes afterward, so I am sorry this isn't my best work.  Lucky for you, the Hunger Games is pretty good, and the film adaptation is the best we could have hoped for.  Now, I hope to be watching Battle Royale in the next couple weeks, so I will report back and let you know if the similarities are as striking as they say.  In the mean time, go see the Hunger Games, and for goodness sake, read the book!

1 comment: