Thursday, May 31, 2012

Boardwalk Empire

I imagine saying an HBO show is great is a lot like saying water is wet.  By now, HBO has a pretty good reputation when it comes to producing great shows.  With Boardwalk Empire, they once again prove that they deserve that reputation.

I've had an odd relationship with Boardwalk Empire.  Both this season and last season, I watched the first few episodes then lost interest and wandered away.  Once again, with both seasons, months later, when I started watching Boardwalk Empire again, I couldn't stop watching.  In the last few days, Mark and I have watched probably seven episodes.  Boardwalk Empire is one of those shows that you forget how good it is until you are actually watching it.

Like a great deal of the other HBO shows, Boardwalk Empire is a very smart show.  You have to pay attention to follow what's happening.  If you decide to spend part of an episode reading Reddit, you're going to have no idea what's going on two episodes later when the ripples from that other episode are finally felt.  If you've watched the Wire, you know how deep the show can get.  Boardwalk Empire isn't quite to the level that  the Wire reached, but it's still an excellent show.

Boardwalk Empire's greatest strength is the cast.  Steve Buscemi headlines the show, and he is amazing.  He's played so many characters, and it's nice to see that he can still bring something different to the table.  I was originally going to discuss each character and the wonderful actor that portrays him or her, but I don't have all night.  Instead, I'm just going to list off the best, the ones that keep me watching.  Watch Boardwalk Empire to see Kelly Macdonald, Michael Pitt, and Michael Shannon.  Oh yeah...freakin' Omar is on the show too!  For those of you unfamiliar with the Wire, Omar was essentially their twisted and amazing version of Robin Hood, played by Michael Williams.  He is amazing, and whenever his character shows up, amazing things happen.

Because the cast is populated with such strong and accomplished actors, they are more than up to the task of giving the characters nuance.  Characters that I really like are constantly battling each other, and I just want them to make up and get along.  While there are characters that I just want to see dead because they are annoying or relatively evil, I'll find myself feeling sorry for them when some bit of history is revealed.  Some shows shy away from giving their main characters unattractive or socially unacceptable traits.  I'm sure most of you have never played Deadlands, but when you create a character in Deadlands, you have edges and hindrances.  Each character is balanced.  For every awesome aspect to Nucky's character, he has a flaw.  It's a more human portrayal than some people like in their "hero", but its what makes Boardwalk Empire so great.  No one is a simple character; they're like Transformers, more than meets the eye.

It doesn't hurt that the setting for Boardwalk Empire is very enjoyable.  It's the roaring 20's, and the attention to detail is fantastic.  From costumes to sets, you feel like what you're seeing is real.  It's an impressive feat.

I imagine all shows are influenced by those around them.  In an overwhelming majority of successful shows, characters evolve and change.  They grow.  Sometimes, a show will under-go that same process.  In the case of Boardwalk Empire, I can't help but feel that the second season was a bit influenced by Game of Thrones.  If you have seen it, you may see what I saw.  If so, let me know.  The second season just took some turns I did not expect.

If you're looking for a show to kill some time, you can't really go wrong with Boardwalk Empire.  There is an interesting setting that acts as home to a myriad of deep characters.  I love some of the characters, even while I hate the things they do, but it's okay.  At least it makes sense in the narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment