Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Diablo III - Initial Impressions

I am all of twenty minutes into Diablo III, so this review is only going to include my first impressions.  Keep in mind, I have not played the previous Diablo games.

1.  Battletags - I don't like this.  Blizzard, I go out of my way to come up with unique names.  I hate names with numbers after them.  I understand that all battletags have numbers, but that doesn't mean I like it.  Instead, we all look silly.  If we need a special tag, you shouldn't have made us all sign up for battle.net with our email addresses.  I knew it was a silly idea.*

2.  Cinematics - Thus far, the cut scenes are well done and very pretty.  This comes as no surprise from Blizzard, as they have been capably handling cut scenes for quite some time.

3.  Character Creation - I know the game can only handle so much, but would it have killed you to let me customize my little guy?  I'm not asking for much, as I know it will be hardly visible under my awesome armor, but at least give me the illusion of control.  I do appreciate the ability to customize my banner.**  Were the game solely single player, I wouldn't care about the lack of customization, but since I can interact with other people, I want to feel unique.  Mark assures me my loot will make me feel all special and whatnot.

4.  Voice Acting - Currently, I'm trying out the demon hunter, and the voice acting is pretty good.  It actually reminds me a lot of Kate Beckinsale's vampire character from the Underworld movies.***

5.  Game Play - The game continues to be pretty, even when just tooling around.  I know there were complaints that it looked to bright and shiny, but since I have no previous Diablo experience, I can't comment on that.  I like it.

6.  Lag & Logging On - I actually had no problem getting logged in, and thus far, I have experienced no lag.  Of course, I just played solo for twenty minutes, so that is a rather small sample.

7.  Fun - So far, Diablo III is quite fun.  I plan on playing more.  Mark and I will be making themed characters because it makes me happy.****

Once I have more experience with Diablo III, I will report back and give you a full review.  For now, I'm not regretting signing up for a year of Wow to get it for free.  Let's hope I don't come to regret the choice.

*Quite a bit like Camelot, actually.

**It has a tree on it!

***That might actually indicate that it is poor acting.

****I'm thinking we'll both create demon hunters.  One will be named Sam, while the other shall be known as Dean.

No comments:

Post a Comment