Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hair Salons

Not having a ton of experience with hair salons, I don't know how valid my opinions are.  For example, I have not had anything done to my hair in over seven months.*  To give you a contrast, I work with a lady that goes every four weeks.  Her hair looks great all the time, so it definitely pays off.  Frankly, I think I'm too lazy to go to the salon often.  Add in that I'm cheap, and it's hair in a bun every day!

Lately, I've gotten annoyed with my hair.  I think it looks blah.**  I figured I could try to get a cut and maybe a color tonight.  Now, I'm not feeling real hot, as it appears I have an ear infection, but I have some plans this weekend where I don't want to look as blah as I do right now.  Besides, having someone else wash and do your hair can be relaxing.

I meant to call the salon first thing this morning to see if they could take me.  I had verified their hours via their facebook page yesterday.  They were supposed to be open until nine.  Well, I was very busy today and did not have time to call.  I finally called tonight, around 6:30.  Do you know what they told me?  They told me they close at 7!  Aside from the chain salons in the mall, everyone closes by 7 or earlier.  Now, I realize it's my fault for not planning ahead, but I didn't know we were going to have super awesome plans this weekend.  My question is why do they all close so early?  I know they close early because they can, but that doesn't make it any more convenient for me.

Furthermore, is there a reason they can't just give specific prices.  I was once charged extra for my haircut because my hair was long.  Now, it wasn't a charge for having to color longer hair or blow-dry longer hair.  It was just because I had longer hair.  How does that make any sense??  Frankly, I think it's unfair to charge extra for color just because my hair is longer.  My hair is incredibly fine, so someone with short, thick hair probably uses just as much hair dye as myself.

While we're on the subject of coloring hair, why would you ask me what I mean when I ask how much a cut and color is?  I didn't ask how much a cut and highlights was.  I didn't ask how much a cut and root touch up was.  I asked how much a cut and color was.  To me, that means I want to know how much my color will cost.  Of course, this is just due to my inexperience with salons.  When she asked me what I meant, I just didn't know what my choices were.  I needed a multiple choice answers to figure it out.

In defense of the many salons I contacted tonight, all of the people answering the phones were super nice.  The girl that asked me what kind of color I wanted was actually the nicest person I interacted with all night.  She deserves a fist bump.

I want to be like other grown ups, who have a salon they regularly visit, with a stylist who knows what they like.  Thus far, it hasn't worked out that way for me.  There was an amazing salon in State College that Tara the Awesome turned me on to, but I kinda don't live there.  I'm very sad about that, but that is a story for another time.

To sum up, salons are great because they offer to do things to my hair that I can't fathom how to do on my own.  I just need one that will recognize that I am as educated on their hair terminology as Mark is on tampons.

*Of course, I'm washing it.  I just mean no cut...no color...no anything special.

**Yeah, it looks blah.  Don't argue with me about the use of the word blah.  It got my point across, didn't it??

No comments:

Post a Comment