Thursday, May 17, 2012

Community

Back when it first premiered, Mark and I tuned in to watch Community.  I'm not sure what it was about the show that initially drew us in, but we gave it a shot.  We were pleasantly surprised.  Now sitting at three seasons, Community is a great show, probably one of the best of its type.

Early on, Community was a lot more tame.  The initial season is much less out there and crazy than the third season.  I enjoyed Community's early episodes, but I realized how amazing the show was with the Halloween episode in the first season.  They referenced Beastmaster, for goodness' sake.  It was then that I realized the show writers were definitely working on my level.

Community has struggled, and I would think it has to do with the referenced material.  Community has a cast of characters that are well played and constantly changing.  Characters that didn't have much to do with each other in season one have grown to be great friends.  The best part is that the character changes have been organic.  You don't see a character magically becoming something they are not.  You see them become a bit different through experiences and believable choices.

Perhaps to enjoy Community you must have a love of pop culture.  Being a fan of most things pop culture, I can't really distance myself enough to ascertain if that is the case.  I enjoy Community and am baffled when others do not.  I love most of the theme episodes, while I have heard others criticize them.  Tonight, while watching the 8-bit episode, Mark kept repeating how awesome it was every few minutes.  Why?  Because it spoke to him.  It was done in the style of something he loves.  It payed respect to the idea while still telling a story.  The theme episodes aren't just about the themes; there is room for great storytelling, as well.

Community is an interesting show that is right up my alley.  It is crafted with great writing, populated with good acting, and home to some of my favorite characters on television.  If you haven't been watching it, shame on you.  If you tried it and didn't like it, that's okay.  No show is for everyone.  At least give the show a shot.  Try out the first Halloween episode, from season one.  It gives you a good idea of where the show can go without requiring you to have an in depth knowledge of the characters yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment