Saturday, May 26, 2012

Coca-Cola Chicken Wings

On this beautiful summer day, I decided I didn't want to go outside and cook.  Why enjoy the sunshine when I can hang out in the air conditioning??  Anyway, I fired up the oven and made Coca-Cola chicken wings today, and they were very good.

The Recipe:

1 cup brown sugar     1 can (12oz.) Coca-Cola     
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
3 lbs. chicken wings

1.  Combine brown sugar, Coca-Cola, onions, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper in large casserole dish or 9" x 12" pan.  Stir until mix then add chicken wings in sauce mixture.

2.  Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.

3.  Remove the chicken from the dish and pour the remaining sauce into a skillet, reserving 1/4 cup in a separate bowl.  Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to the 1/4 cup sauce in the separate bowl then return that mixture to the skillet.  Bring to a boil then pour over chicken wings.

For the most part, I followed the recipe as it appears.  I didn't salt and pepper the wings or sauce.  I actually forgot they even suggested it, as the wings were fine without it.  I did cut all measurements in half, as there were only two of us dining today.

As I'm not an astounding cook*, I'm looking for ease when it comes to recipes.  I don't mind trying new techniques or cooking styles, but today's recipe didn't require me to do much of difficulty.  Normally, the most time consuming task would have been chopping the onions and mincing the garlic, but my handy dandy Ninja made that process painless.  The most difficult task I had was peeling the garlic so I could put it in the chopper. Once that was done, prep was very easy.

During the two hour bake time, I spooned the sauce over the wings a few times.  The recipe didn't say to, but it seemed like a good idea.  As the wings neared their completion, I flipped them over.  I probably didn't need to, but I was afraid their tops would burn.  I'm paranoid.

I served the wings with corn on the cob and a pasta salad, and it was a good meal.  The wings were tasty, with good flavor.  They were very sticky though, so you need to wash your hands to employ wet naps.  Dry napkins are not going to cut it.

Between the two of us, we ate all the wings, and I'm probably going to make this recipe again in the future.  The sauce was very good, and I may use it with other meats at a later date.  Add in the fact that I got this recipe from my free Sam's Club Cookbook, and it's all win.

* I'm actually a very lazy cook.  I can't be that bad, as I haven't made us sick yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment