Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Revenant

I don't know what you've heard about the Revenant. I suppose you've heard about a bear and maybe some Oscar nominations.* That's about all I knew going into the Revenant, and I didn't feel strongly about the movie one way or the other. I tend to avoid most trailers nowadays because so much is often spoiled that way. I knew I should see this film, as it was serious Oscar bait, but that doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it. As such, I was very impressed with the Revenant.

The story is a simple one. I won't get too far into details, but I will say it ends up being a simple revenge story. However, a simple story does not make for a bad film. The journey is often more important than the destination, and watching the characters live these moments is interesting and keeps you on your toes. I would say it was harsher than your average Hollywood film, less concerned with a happy ending and more concerned with telling a more genuine story.

The cinematography also serves the story well, done in such a way as to pull you into the film. The film itself, as painful and visceral as some scenes are, is beautiful. It actually made me homesick at times. I grew up in rural Pennsylvania, and the forest scenes in the early parts of the film remind me of the woods behind our home. I know they weren't really that impressive, but yester-Holly assures me they were.

You're probably not surprised that this
is not from the Revenant, nor is it
the woods behind my PA home.
It's from Disney. I know...
shocking.

Often shot from a low angle, there are multiple scenes that pull you in, making you feel the stress the characters are feeling. In particular, there is a scene involving a river that is artfully done. When viewed from a wider shot, a river isn't that interesting or threatening. Putting the camera at the water's level, where you would be were you in the water, makes those rapids much more intimidating. What looks like a small splash from above is completely different from a surface view. This type of intimacy exists throughout the film.

Would those shots be as effective if we didn't feel something for the characters? Probably not, so I suppose I should acknowledge the acting. The casting for the Revenant is great, with each actor turning in a stellar performance. Of course, much focus has been given to DiCaprio's performance due to his still not having an Oscar while having a great resume. However, I don't feel this is the best performance of his career. He does great, and I respect his devotion to his craft. This just doesn't feel like his best work to me. He did better in this role than probably any other actor would have, but I don't want him to get an Oscar because he deserves one for previous films.**

I was very impressed with Tom Hardy in the Revenant. He really can disappear into his roles. You've got this actor who played Eames, Fitzgerald, and Bane. They each look and act vastly different. Yes, I realize that's what acting is, however, there are many actors that cannot do that. Hardy is like a chameleon, blending with the character. He continually gives great performances, regardless of the film. I have yet to watch him and not believe what I'm seeing. He is good at what he does.***

The Revenant is a beautiful film. Throughout I kept getting the feeling that what silly things man involves himself in are nothing in the face of nature. It doesn't care; it just keeps being. The Revenant framed this revenge story in such a way that it transcends simple film and becomes art. I suggest seeing it. It is definitely worth watching on the big screen. It's not something I would queue up on the telly for a relaxing afternoon, but it is worth your time and demands the big screen treatment due to the awe inspiring shots.

*Dear, Father-in-Law, when I tell you I haven't seen a movie, I strongly suggest you don't start telling me about specific scenes. I have a pretty rigid idea of what is right and wrong in this world. Spoiling movies falls way, way in the "wrong" column. Do it again, and we will have words. :P

**What I'm saying is that he is a fantastic actor. He is great in the Revenant. He has just been better in other movies. I'm speaking less about his performance and more of the demand of the role. They asked for a lot physically, and he delivered. Other roles have asked for me, and he has also delivered. I hope that makes sense.

***Let's not count that Star Trek movie against him. He did a good job. They just didn't give him much to work with. Frankly, the fact that he went on to be successful after that film is a credit to his ability

No comments:

Post a Comment