Saturday, January 30, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Normally, I would assume anyone truly interested in the new Star Wars movie would have already seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens. That would lead me to write a spoiler laden review, mainly because it makes it easier to discuss the film. However, my mother hasn't seen the new Star Wars movie yet. My brother, with whom I used to watch the original Star Wars trilogy regularly, still hasn't seen the new movie. Out of respect for them, I will be writing a spoiler free review. I often use the "*" to add my little thoughts that don't really need to be in the article. Today, all "*"s will be spoiler related. If you have not seen the new Star Wars movie, do not check out any of the "*" comments. The following picture will also be the first in this review and the last. When you find it a second time, go no further, as there be spoilers.

Soon, Star Wars will have a greater
presence at Disney. Let us 
rejoice. Huzzah!

Star Wars: the Force Awakens is the film I wanted over fifteen years ago when the prequels launched. Maybe that's an unfair way to judge the new film, but many comments compare the new to the old, both the original trilogy and the prequels. I was actually told that I shouldn't look at any other films, that I should treat this as a stand alone film. I think that's a great goal, but for me, it's not realistic. Star Wars has been a big part of my pop culture life. Ryan and I would watch the whole trilogy more than one weekend out of the month growing up. I remember trying to put together a 3D model of the Millennium Falcon while watching the trilogy on VHS. We never finished that puzzle, but we always finished the films.

When the prequels launched, I was so excited. I was finally going to be a part of pop culture history. I saw the film opening day. (Thank you, Morgan!) I was so excited and loved the film. We came out and thought about seeing it again later that night. (Instead, we went to Pizza Hut, which was out of pizza.) It wasn't til a bit later that it really sank in. The excitement of a new Star Wars film wore off, and the mess that was Phantom Menace was all that was left. While there are good actors to be found in the prequels, you wouldn't know it. They did the best with what they had, but they couldn't save the film. There was just too much wrong with it. If you want a fun look at it, check out the Plinkett reviews via Red Letter Media. He spends about an hour and a half dissecting each of the prequel films, pointing out the numerous flaws.

Because I recall my clouded vision after seeing the first of the prequels, I was very, very nervous about spouting off opinions on the new movie right after seeing it. Mark and I attended a showing the Thursday night Star Wars: The Force Awakens launched. We saw it in 3D because that was the format showing that worked out for us. (Don't see movies in 3D at the Market Common theater. They glasses there are just awful.) We both had to work, and I was adamant that we get to the theater at least two hours early to make sure we got great seats. 

Stoked!

When we showed up at 8:00PM for our 10:00PM showing, there was no one else waiting. We were the first ones there for our showing. The first set of showings had already commenced, so the lobby was empty. Mark was actually interviewed by a local news reporter. We were fine with that, as we had plenty of time before our showing. They didn't even have us stand in a line that early. They just had us have a seat in the lobby area. 

Eventually, other people started showing up for the movie. We finally were moved into a queue, which we were in the front of. There was a longer line waiting for the showing after ours, which was in a standard format and started at 10:40PM. There were a few people dressed up, which was fun to see. It's always neat to see people go all out for something like this, but we were not dressed up. (I think that made Mark a bit sad.) 

The minute I stepped out of line to go to the restroom, they sounded the call and let us into the theater. I needn't have worried, as when I got in there, there were plenty of seats. Besides, Mark had already procured our seats in the center, by the bar. (It's the best place to sit because I can climb over it to go to the bathroom, as opposed to walking all the way down the aisle, bumping people knees and stepping on their feet.) The theater never did fill up. I don't even think it got to a quarter full. 

When we finally got out of the film, I felt pretty numb. I had some complaints, but I wasn't really feeling much of anything. I knew I enjoyed the film, but I was so afraid that time would show me that I was wrong, that it would be like Phantom Menace. I was pretty subdued when talking about it. (I did talk to a couple customers about it the next day and got upset with one that was talking about the plot in the lobby of the bank. You do not potentially spoil a brand new movie like that. You step into my office if you want to talk spoilers. Sheesh. It's one of the rules to live by!)

On Saturday, we went to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens for a second time. (I tried to get my brother to go with Mark and I last weekend, but he was all like no....I need to see it with my wife. Silly man...being all caring for his spouse. Sheesh. That was sarcasm.) The theater was actually more full than our theater on opening night. We got our chosen seats and had about ten minutes before anyone else entered the theater. I figured at this point in time, the movie would have fewer people in attendance. I was wrong, as it was pretty well attended. It was the first matinee on a Saturday, so that probably played a part.

Having seen the film a second time, I can say that I really, really enjoyed it. It's a solid entry into a series that needed to prove to the audience that it new what made Star Wars great.(Midi-chlorians?!? Seriously, George??) Let's talk about the different pieces of the film.

The Story
Part of the issue the prequels had was the overly complicated, nonsensical plot, if you can call it that. With this film, we have a return to form. It mirrors a New Hope, which has actually generated some complaint, with some fans saying they didn't want a rehash of what they'd already seen. This film isn't a complete retread; it's a simple story. A simple story is not a bad thing. It does not mean that a film is not good. After the prequels, the simple story is welcome. While there are some similar beats when compared with a New Hope, it is different enough that it still works. Did I see certain plot points coming a mile away? Yeah. Does that ruin the movie? Nope. There are many great films with simple stories. 

I took this on my phone at the Star Wars Character
Breakfast at Disney during Star Wars Weekends.
It is the coolest breakfast ever.

The Characters
The Force Awakens has a bit of a cheat when it comes to the characters, as they have quite a few established characters that we're just happy to see again.* We might not see some of them as much as we would like, but it works out.** Regardless, the new film gives us a few new characters to get to know, and largely, I like them! BB-8 is just adorable. I seriously considered buying that $150 toy because he was so cute in the film. I was hesitant to buy much merchandise beforehand because you never know if you're really going to like a character before you see the actual movie. Buying BB-8 merchandise would have been a safe bet. The other heroic leads, Rey and Finn, are likable and do a solid job. I didn't cringe even once! Our more nefarious leads, Kylo Ren and General Hux are also played well. Hux isn't fleshed out yet, and he may never be. The random Star Wars generals of the Empire were never fleshed out much in the films, but Domhnall Gleeson is a talented actor, so I'm interested to see if they give him more to work with in the future. Kylo Ren has a look that may prove to be memorable. The actor tasked with playing him brings the right feelings to the character.*** It does seem that when designing these new leads that they took the characteristics of the original characters, threw them into a box, and pulled them out randomly. No character is a direct rip off of the characters from the original trilogy. They pull bits and pieces from those characters to make new ones, which works just fine. I found myself expecting the characters to fit neatly into certain shapes, and they didn't. I admire their ability to pay homage without using cookie cutters.

Rey! Finn! BB-8! Explosions!

The Effects
If you've read many of my movie reviews, you'll know I'm not a huge fan of CGI effects. I appreciate good CGI, which is often the kind you don't realize is there. I find the best effects to be those that utilize both CGI and practical means. Star Wars: The Force Awakens runs with this idea. There is some very obvious, kind of not great CGI effects, but the film largely blends the two to great effect. CGI backgrounds are used like matte paintings at times. They play to the strengths of both types of effect to make something great. Is it as impressive as the original trilogy? Nope. Is it a great deal better than the prequels? You bet. Like I said, there are some uses of CGI that don't quite work for me. I'm guessing they used motion capture for Maz Kanata. The movement of the character looks good, but the texture of her skin just seems fake to me. It doesn't ruin the movie, but if you're looking at effects, that would be one that is a small complaint. 

The Tone and Atmosphere
We all know what a Star Wars movie feels like. Well, if you're reading this, I assume you know. Part of what made the original trilogy feel real was the broken down, dirty appearance of the day to day items. There were items that were clean, such as many of the Empire related items. Grand Moff Tarkin has a crisp uniform. The halls of the Star Destroyers were clean and organized. By contrast, pretty much everything on Tatooine was dirty. It felt like real people used those items. It looked lived in and constantly repaired. The Force Awakens brings back that feeling. BB-8 has dirt and stains on him. Rey's clothes are not pristine white, which makes sense because she's been living in the desert. It all feels so real, especially when compared with the prequels, which felt so fake. The Force Awakens feels like a true Star Wars movie. The filmmakers did a good job of not making each set piece feel like a copy of those from the original film. While you have a dirty bar and a sand planet, they're not completely identical to Mos Eisley Cantina and Tatooine. They have changed it up enough to keep me on board.

The Sound and Music
John Williams is back. It feels like I don't really need to say much more. He doesn't bring forth a piece of music that sticks with me this time around, but the score is great as a whole. His music fits the scenes and the film, which is what matters; the music should add to the movie, not detract or overrun it. Many of our favorite sound effects are back too. Once again, I knew I was watching a Star Wars movie, and it was great. There is something so exciting about hearing the Millenium Falcon screaming through the sky or hearing a lightsaber activate. I have literally squeed in excitement. (No, squeed is not a real word. It is supposed to represent the noise you make. Deal with it. /squee) 

I really, really enjoyed the Force Awakens. I want to say I loved it, but I'm afraid to make that kind of commitment. Would I go see it again this weekend? I would. It holds up to multiple viewings, and I actually liked it better the second time around. I was able to let go of the things that took me out of the film the first time around**** and just enjoy the film for what it was, a great Star Wars movie. I did cry both times, however.***** Go see this movie. If you haven't already, we may have to break up. Angie, my super awesome work friend, went to see it! She doesn't know the difference between Predator and Aliens, but she saw the new Star Wars movie. You should too.

Go no further. There be spoilers
beyond this picture!

*Carrie Fisher does a good job. She took me out of the film in each scene when I was watching this the first time. However, on the second viewing, I realized it was just because I wasn't expecting that voice. She does a fine job reprising her role, and I'm glad to see her up there. I can't fault her for my expectations.

**Not having Luke show up until the end was a great decision. Also, he looked awesome! I was worried, but he really pulled off not looking crazy. I've seen him in the Flash recently, so I was worried. I know I shouldn't have been, but I was. He just does crazy so well. He's been the voice of the Joker for a long, long time because he's perfect for it.

***Let's talk turkey about Kylo Ren. Some have said that the character is no substitute for Darth Vader, and that is true. He's not supposed to be. When we meet Vader, he has completed his transformation. He has committed many atrocities and completely embraced the dark side. He is a perfect monster. However, Kylo Ren is still in the early stages of his transformation. You can see it in many ways. The filmmakers did a great job giving you indications that he isn't there yet. He is still conflicted, and this causes him to act erratically. His lightsaber is messy and seems improperly done. Whether it is the construction or his own internal struggle, the blade is not smooth, not clean. He essentially throws tantrums when things don't go his way. He is volatile, and he is not meant to be Darth Vader. He is a better representation of Anakin than the prequels gave us. He's not the same character obviously, but he better displays the struggle one might go through. As to the actor, Adam Driver displays the right mix of angst and anger to make it work. He is, however, the guy who peed on Lena Dunham on Girls, and that just creeps me out. They did make him much prettier in this than the other roles I've seen him in. He cleans up well. (I know that isn't important.)

****Once again, the casting of Kylo Ren initially threw me. I wasn't expecting such luxurious hair under that helmet. Also, poor Carrie Fisher has had a hard life, and you can hear it in her voice. Upon re-watching the film, these things didn't really bother me at all.

*****This is totally silly, but I find that I can associate the weirdest things with my family. For me, my dad reminds me of Harrison Ford. He doesn't really look like him, but I watched a lot of Ford movies with my family, and growing up, that was kind of who I likened my dad to in my yester-Holly brain. I think that's why it hit me so hard when Han Solo died. I knew it was coming. It was telegraphed so far ahead, but it didn't matter. The tears started falling, and I was trying not to blubber like a baby. It was so rough. :( On a side note, the lighting in that scene is great. Ben (Kylo Ren) doesn't actually go through with killing Han until the sun dies, until the light is gone. You get it, right?? The light is gone from him. He is now bathed completely in red light; he has chosen the dark side!

We totally know some Star Wars guys. We are like...best buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment