Saturday, January 9, 2016

Serial

I don't listen to a ton of podcasts. I really only listen to them because Mark likes to listen to them. I've enjoyed some and been annoyed by others, but we found one that we both found fascinating recently. Serial is incredibly interesting and good for starting conversation.

Let's start by reviewing how Mark and I listen to podcasts. It usually happens during car rides that exceed one hour. We rarely start one if we're just running to the beach.* Instead, we usually start one on long car trips. Most of the podcasts we listen to together run about an hour per episode. The drive to my brother's place is nearly four hours.** To pass the time, we turned on Serial, which Mark had heard was amazing.

Serial is a true crime podcast, focusing on a single case/crime each season. I'm not usually a fan of true crime, as my imagination comes up with enough scary things; it doesn't need help from reality. However, the case that Sarah Keonig, the host, digs into in season one is very interesting and sad. She reviews the murder of Hae Min Lee. She digs into the case to see what weak points existed in the case, as well as whether the right person went to jail. There are interviews with many of the involved persons, and numerous experts show up to explain some parts of the case. Serial does a great job of making sure you understand what happened, or rather, what can be proved happened. It also details what may have happened, but as far as I could see, did not present conjecture as fact.

The production quality is good and the story compelling. It was easy to spend nearly eight hours listening to Serial when we traveled to and from my brother's place. When one of us has something to say, we will pause the podcast for discussion. This also tends to extend the time spent listening. An hour podcast could take us up to an hour and a half to finish. I find that some of the best podcasts for me inspire discussion. It's why I usually only listen to them when Mark is around.

Serial has a second season that we haven't checked out yet, but I'm sure we will on our next long car ride. It is a fascinating show. I actually thought it was fictional during the first episode because I couldn't believe someone would go through a trial so thoroughly that had been resolved. I guess that's why I don't make podcasts. The only frustrating aspect is that nothing is resolved in the end. You are merely left with more questions.

*By the beach, I just mean into Myrtle Beach. I don't mean the actual, physical beach...the one with all the sand. Ugh.

**It's worth it so see Ellie!

Ellie does not endorse any of
the opinions in this article.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment