Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Zombies, Run!

I don't have a lot of apps on my phone.  Mark will download random games and such onto my phone, but there are not a lot of apps that I use on a regular basis.  I'm happy to report that I have recently found another neat and useful app though.  I would like to tell you all about Zombies, Run!

Zombies, Run! is a running app.  The basic story is that there are zombies.  If you want to survive, you have to run.  It's pretty basic.  You get some story with each mission you do, meeting new characters and the like.  There will be some dialogue followed by musical segments, which consist of tunes found on your device.  You can set your missions to be any where from thirty minutes to an hour.  If you exceed the mission length, the app switches to radio mode, which is more of your music with bits of information from the radio jockey.

There are various settings for the Zombies, Run! app.  If you're on a treadmill, you can set it to measure your steps.  If you run outside, it can use the GPS.  You can also set up the playlist that it pulls music from.  It doesn't seem to pick those songs randomly though, which means I always hear the same songs in the same order.  This might be something I can tweak, but I haven't messed with it to find out yet.

Perhaps the neatest feature is the actual zombie chases.  You have the option to turn them on or off.  I like them on because they force you to sprint, hence getting your heart rate up a bit.  My only complaint about the zombie chases are that there aren't more of them.  When the app plays songs, you'll hear a computerized voice telling you what you've found.*  That same voice will warn you if zombies get too close.  There will be an accompanying beep that gets more frequent the closer the zombies get to you.  You can be overtaken by the zombies, which is creepy.**  If you get away, that voice tells you that you evaded them.

I don't get into most workout aids.  I don't care for exercise tapes.  I don't work out with others, aside from Mark.  I haven't tried out classes yet.  What I do like is this app.  Zombies, Run! gives you a bit of story, some music beats, and some scary ass zombie chases.  What more could you want?

*I found a sports bra one time!

**Their moaning gets very loud and scary.  I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment