Saturday, February 2, 2013

Horrycounty.org - Tax Payments

Today, I'm bringing you a review that may be a bit short and unexplored.  Usually, I like to have a good grasp of whatever it is I'm writing about.  Today, I went online to pay the taxes for my car.*  I would love to tell you about my experience, but it was cut a bit short.

When you receive your tax bill, it states that you can make your payment online by visiting horrycounty.org.  That sounded pretty good, so I decided to go ahead and get it done today.**  After typing in the website, I just stared blankly at it.  I'm not sure if all the cleaners I used today while cleaning house impacted my higher brain functions, but I just didn't see where I needed to go to make my payment.***

I finally noticed "Online Services" at the top of the screen, which opened into a larger menu.  This, unfortunately, is where our adventure ends and why the review is a bit short on experience today.  To pay your taxes online, there is a fee.  Regardless of what method you choose, they'll charge you a fee.  I especially love that they call them "convenience fees".

If you choose to pay with a credit card, you get a 2.85% fee.  Using your debit card?  That's a flat fee of $3.95.  An electronic check will run you $2.50.  I understand that the county does not receive any of these fees, and I imagine these are the fees the county accrues when they allow people to pay this way.  That doesn't make it any less insulting.

I wish I could tell you how the rest of the payment process went, but I don't know.  I decided I wasn't paying any extra fees.  Instead, I pulled out my checkbook, blew the dust off, and wrote a check.  Now, I just have to go buy envelopes.****

*For those unfamiliar, you pay taxes on your car when you live in South Carolina.  Coming from Pennsylvania, this was originally quite a shock.  Now, we're used to it.

**They're not even due yet!  I am so ahead of the game!

***I even tried using Ctrl + F, but it didn't help!

****I'm pretty sure the box of envelopes will be cheaper than their fees!

No comments:

Post a Comment