Saturday, February 9, 2013

Dead Space

As usual, I feel that I should preface my game reviews with the warning that I don't play some of the games.  My review of Dead Space 3 will be based solely on my fulfillment as a voyeur.  I experienced the first two Dead Space games this way, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Dead Space 3 isn't quite the same as its predecessors.  The biggest changes seem to be the addition of the weapon building stations, the multi-player, and the overall tone.  In this case, being different isn't a bad thing. Dead Space 3 is quite enjoyable and has occupied our entire Saturday off.

I've been told that this is where I would say something about the plot.  Apparently, all good reviews should 
make some mention of the story.*  I'm going to keep it rather basic. There are these "markers" that mess up anything near them, creating necromorphs.  You have your crazies that worship them and your sane people that don't.  As is to be expected, various governments have at different times tried to harness the power of these constructs.  All three games follow Isaac Clark, who becomes more and more knowledgeable about the "markers" as games pass by.

Perhaps the most boring addition is the ability to create/upgrade your weapons.  There are benches located throughout the game that allow you to create things such as the Hun 1 Badger.**  They get mad props for the random references, but the bench time is boring to the voyeur.  Mark assures me that it is really fun and has allowed him to tweak his approach to battle.  You can make your weapon complement your preferred tactical approach.

While the weapon advancement was boring for me, the multi-player became the bane of my existence.  I haven't even tried it yet, and I have a negative opinion of it, mainly because Mark keeps asking me to try it.  I'm sure it would be fun, but I tend to panic which results in everyone dying.  If I ever get the courage up to give it a go, I'll let you know.

I know I said that the overall tone was a change, but it's a small one.  The original game had a much more survival horror feel to it than this iteration.  The feel of the third game is much more action like.***  There are still creepy moments, and the monster noises sound like something out of a sorority bathroom after heavy drinking or lunch.  The scare factor just isn't there anymore.  You're used to seemingly dead things getting up and chasing you around.

Dead Space 3 is a good looking game with decent voice acting and music.  It's worth the purchase price and is entertaining enough to watch.  If you're looking for something to do on Valentine's Day, I'm going to suggest taking your significant other out to a movie.  If you're both into gaming, this could be an alternative.

*At least, that's what I read on Reddit.

**It don't care!

***I wanted to say actiony, but apparently, that's not a word.  Pfft.

No comments:

Post a Comment