Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Favorite Annual Purchase - 2 Cups, 1 Bucket

I've made it pretty apparent that I'm a big fan of going to the movies. There are weekends where we will see multiple movie. I've done multiples in a single day too. Of course, that's not that big of a deal; I'm sure lots of people do that. Unfortunately for those people, they don't all have what I have...the marvelous refillable popcorn bucket and cups.

Each year, my favorite theater, the Cinemark in the Coastal Grand Mall, rolls out the refillable popcorn bucket and cups, which are only good for that calendar year. I feel that I must explain my obsession with them. 

The first year, we just bought a bucket; I don't even know if they had the cups then. In the subsequent years, we started buying the cups too. In the past, we've even bought extra buckets in case of visitors.*

A little over a year ago, around Thanksgiving, we saw the buckets and cups displayed for 2013. Since we had our 2012 versions with us at the time, we decided to wait and pick up the 2013 ones another day. This was a huge mistake. Shortly thereafter, the theater sold out. They were convinced they would receive more. I began calling and/or visiting them on an almost daily basis. I could not be without my bucket! I would not suffer a year without my cups! 

Recognizing the desperation of their patrons, the theater extended the time in which the 2012 buckets and cups could be used. I want to say it was at least a couple of months. Finally, after many calls and an embarrassing number of visits, additional stock arrived. I was finally able to claim my prize, and the theater employees no longer had to put up with me as much!

Yesterday, I officially retired the 2013 bucket and cups. Our 2014 versions have been used. I learned from last year and bought my new ones when I saw them on Thanksgiving day. I was reminded of my struggle from last year when a nice lady behind me at the snack bar inquired as to when the refillable items for 2014 were going to be in stock. I thought she was going to demand a manager when she was told they had sold out already and would be receiving no more.

Now that I've told you the saga of my 2013 bucket and cups, let me explain why they are so super amazing. The bucket is not huge but holds more than enough popcorn for two people. The cups are quite large, usually too much for one person to finish. You might expect to only get soda, but my Cinemark is so awesome that they allow you to have Icees!**

Now, my experiences at the theater are always made better by the amazing employees there. If I ask, they'll let me butter and salt my bucket at half full then finish filling it, just to be buttered and salted again.*** One time, both the Sprite and blue Icee were re-freezing. The girl offered to hold onto my cup until the Icees were frozen again. At that time, she would fill it and bring it into my theater for me! How amazing is that?!?!****

The best part might just be the price. A usual combo runs between $12 and $15. Now, I haven't bought one in a while, but I believe that's what I paid when last I did. Each of my containers is $3 to refill. For a movie, we pay $9 to fill everything! Huzzah.

As a bonus review, I'm going to tell you about the best purchase I've ever made at any movie theater ever. While the bucket and cups are a close second, I must lavish the Polar Pipes that we purchased a few years ago with massive amounts of praise and label them as my number one, super purchase. They are essentially metal straws, which go to the movies with us pretty much every time.***** I don't even know that I can explain just how awesome they are; I feel like I should lend you mine. Unfortunately for you, I am not comfortable letting them out of my sight.

If you happen upon refillable cups and popcorn buckets, be sure to pick them up. If you go to the movies as little as once a month, they're a good investment. I'll also like you more. You get mad street cred for cruisin' with the bucket.

Behold the awesomeness that is
the bucket,
the cups,
and the Polar Pipes!

*It makes me a good host. At least, it does in my mind.

**In case you're wondering, the best Icee is blue swirled with Sprite Icee.******

***I do not do this when there is a line. I'm not a jerk.  :P

****Seriously, she needs a raise.

*****On the rare occasion we forget them, it makes my Icee less awesome, which is unacceptable.

******It made me sad when they took away the Sprite Icee. It was amazing.

1 comment:

  1. You left out the part where the young lady who brought you the icee gave you an incredibly awkward hug. It was delicious in its uncomfortableness.

    ReplyDelete