Saturday, January 4, 2014

Globe Christmas Lights

At this point in time, quite a few people have their homes stripped of their holiday decorations. Unlike those people, I am super lazy. My decorations are still up and will probably continue to be up for another week or so. It also doesn't hurt that I really like Christmas lights, as they make me happy!*

Last year, I had to bid adieu to my favorite Christmas lights. They were glass bulbs, a bit larger than a golf ball, and they were beautiful. They just made the nicest glow. The only downside was that one exploded last year when I plugged them in.** After recognizing that I could not fix them, they received a somber exit via the trash can.

This year, I decided to try and find some similar lights. I had bought my last set at Wal-Mart, so I didn't think it would be too difficult. It turns out that I was wrong. Any globe lights I found in the retail stores in my area were made of plastic and looked really cheap, with thick seams front and center. As that would not do, I checked in with my old pal, Amazon, who was happy to give me a few options. I purchased two different sets of lights.

The first set have a crackle appearance, not unlike Mercury glass.*** The pictures on Amazon made them out to be a little brighter than the actual product. The color is more in tune with a comic book that was left in the shop window too long.

You can see the crackle effect towards the bottom.
Also, this picture is a bit creepy.

The lights do get warm, but they don't get hot. Since I don't know why the stores stopped selling the glass lights, I figured that was important. I figured they either didn't like them breaking, or they were a fire hazard. Here's to hoping they're not a fire hazard.

The light is pretty....weak.

They do create a nice glow, but it is not as strong and warm as I would like.

The other set of lights that I purchased are more in line with what I was looking for. They are brighter, creating a happy glow about the tree.

It's so bright that it's melting the snowman!****

As you can see, that glow is much stronger than the illumination provided by the other string of lights. Unfortunately, these lights are plastic, but they don't look like they're made of plastic. There is no ugly and obvious seam making them look cheap. They're also a bit cooler to the touch, probably due to the plastic.

Seriously, check out that glow!

Overall, I'm happy with both sets of lights, but the latter set were more along the lines of what I was looking for. If my tree were a bit more delicate, the patterned lights would fit better. Otherwise, it would be nice if the first set were as bright as the ad's pictures made them out to be. Either way, I would be a bit happier if neither set had pink lights, as pink has no place on my Christmas tree.*****

For making it through this review, let me present you with a bonus picture of the oldest ornament on my tree.

That's my husband when he was 8!


*How could they not make you happy? They're little electric balls of joy.

**I'm not even exaggerating. It literally exploded into many, many tiny pieces. I think I only ended up stepping on one, so I consider that a win.

***At least, that's how the seller described them.

****Not really. We don't believe in violence on snow-people here at Prismatic Words. No snow-person was harmed in the writing of this article.

*****Seriously, it clashes with red. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment