Thursday, April 4, 2013

Roger Ebert

I'm not much of a writer.  I'm not much of a critic.  I muddle about on here, trying to get my ideas across.  I can never hope to be as amazing as Roger Ebert.  Heck, I would settle for being a fraction as talented as he.

While killing time on Reddit, I stumbled upon an article announcing Roger Ebert's death.  Now, I rarely read full articles on Reddit.  I get the gist of it from the title and move on.  Not so with this article.  I sat and read the entire piece, nearly moved to tears.  It seemed the least I could do.

Roger Ebert was more than a talented critic.  He made good use of the internet to disseminate his thoughts to as many people as possible.  Where many people knew him from his television review show, I knew him from his online reviews.  While I had seen the show as a kid, it was his style as a critic that spoke to me as an adult.  I didn't always agree with him, but I loved his passion for movies.  It spoke to me.

I love movies, but I had never really thought much about putting my thoughts down.  When I started my daily reviews*, I was nervous.  When I learned more about Ebert and his career, it inspired me.  It's alright to put your thoughts out there.  There is no right or wrong.  We are all entitled to our opinions, and Ebert didn't mind when people disagreed with him.  He enjoyed the discourse it could create.  That's a beautiful thing.

The world has one less voice today.  The least we can do is share ours.

*Yes, I know...I've been slacking in the daily department.

No comments:

Post a Comment