Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Perdue Simply Smart Lightly Breaded Chicken Chunks

I don't really like frozen food.  I acknowledge that it is a great way to delay the aging process in food, hence allowing for longer storage, but I just feel it doesn't taste as good as fresh ingredients.  Of course, fresh ingredients aren't always as cost effective and time friendly.  Since BiLo loves to have specials where you buy a frozen entree and get a bunch of other stuff free, I've ended up with a freezer full of various frozen items.  For the most part, it is frozen chicken tenders and frozen pizza.  Today, we tried the Perdue Simply Smart Lightly Breaded Chicken Chunks.  I was pleasantly surprised.

It seems that most breaded chicken is more breading than chicken.  I think it's safe to say that breading is cheaper, so the breading overload saves the company money.  When Perdue labeled these pieces of chicken as lightly breaded, it's actually an accurate description.  I have had frozen chicken tenders before that pretty much required me to pick the meat out of the breading.  This Perdue chicken was not like that at all.  Finally...some truth in advertising.

The flavor of the chicken was also pretty good.  It wasn't dry or stringy.  The pieces were plump and flavorful.  There was no funny taste from being frozen.  I cooked them in the oven per the bag's instructions, and they turned out great.  We just ate them like you would eat chicken nuggets, but I would love to try them on salad.

Speaking of salad, we've been trying to eat healthier.  This chicken was by no means great for you, but it wasn't as bad as some of the other breaded chicken out there.  I believe the lighter breading helps keep the calories down.*  I was able to have a decent portion and still keep my meal at a relatively good number.

I don't often suggest people eat frozen entrees.  Some work out, but I usually think frozen food tastes funny. I'm happy to announce that the Perdue Simply Smart Lightly Breaded Chicken Chunks** are really good.  Next time BiLo has one of those sales, I plan to pick up some more.

*I'm counting calories and fat.  I am not counting carbs, so I can't tell you how they were for carbs.  Sorry!

**They also win for having the longest freaking name.

No comments:

Post a Comment